Saturday, March 1, 2014

Kiev III

Well, we knew it was too good to be true didn't we.  The dictator overthrown.  A popular uprising.  The new government finding it's way.  One week later things change again.  It was pretty predictable that the Russians wouldn't stand by and lose control of the Crimea.  It's just too important to them.  Will they continue and take part or all of Ukraine.  I'm betting yes.  And why not?  Putin can do pretty much what he likes.  I can close my eyes and almost think it's 1938.  Now don't get me wrong. There is nothing we should ( or could at this point) do militarily.  But there are things we could do both overtly and covertly.  We could start by leading.  But the statement of the leader of the free world shouldn't be so casual, so feckless, so devoid of strategy that no one takes him seriously.  It's not only embarrassing, it's dangerous.  Now events will unfold.  I just hope they don't spin out of control!

No comments: