Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Hysteria

Okay people...everyone just calm down.  I mean seriously!  More than being worried about Ebola, I'm really more worried about he sensationalist loving media (cable, network, internet, tabloids, etc.). It seems that every time there is some event, no matter what it is, the media descends, sensationalizes, picks it to death, looks for blame, calls for firings, and moves to the next thing.  We go from event to event, disaster to disaster continually thinking that things are "going to hell in a hand basket".

Now don't get me wrong.  Ebola is a big problem.  Our government has made some mistakes.  Some big ones.  They have been slow to react.  Not every word in every press conference is perfect.  Some of the hospitals have made mistakes.  The people infected have made mistakes.  But they are all human.  I'm no fan of Obama and his cronies and I certainly think they are ill equipped to handle a national emergency, but the unrelenting blaming, accusations, and questioning that is obviously aimed at finding a gotcha is really tiresome.

Since I've retired I've been really busy doing a lot of things I enjoy and that I hope are helpful to society in their own way.  But once in a while I have a down day with not a lot to do.  When I'm sitting around the house I've taken to checking out the various cable TV news stations.  I also do this at the gym where there is no choice.  No matter what channel I choose it's the same thing.  Unrelenting repeated reporting on whatever they can find that fits their political agenda and their political philosophy.  Both ends of the spectrum are just as bad.  And don't tell me to watch NPR.  They have their own agenda.  A pox on all their houses.

No comments: