Friday, October 23, 2015

An Ah-Ha Moment

If you've read this blog at all you know I really like Peggy Noonan's writing.  Her column in the WSJ every week is usually very good.  This week's column is no exception.  You can read it here.

As I said, the column is good.  But what really stood out for me is one particular quote.  It's about Joe Biden's decision not to run.  I've thought exactly the same thing so many times but of course haven't been able to articulate it as clearly and eloquently as Ms. Noonan.  It's a bit of an Ah-Ha moment for me.  Sort of like...Yes, that's what I've been trying to say!
"Joe Biden's decision not to run for president left me sad. He would have enlivened things. He has always reminded me of what Democrats were like when I was a kid—kind of normal and earthy and fun. They did not spend their time endlessly accusing people of being sexist-racist-homophobic-gender-biased persons of unchecked privilege. They would have thought that impolite."
That's the thing about today's Dems.  They are so strident.  So superior.  So sure they are right.  So ready to accuse anyone who doesn't agree with their particularly brand of prejudice.  It's tiresome.  And whenever I get in a discussion with one, I have a tendency to first become insulted and then to roll my eyes and and walk away.  

No comments: