Tuesday, November 14, 2017

The People in the Second Row

We've come to a time in the national discourse where the cable news channels (I use the term 'news' lightly) have a overblown and almost hysterical reaction to almost every event that happens.  When I say every event, I mean every event that will rile up people and get them all pissed off at the other side from their own political views.  It's also all about a ratings calculations.  If they think whatever they are showing will result in more people watching, then it continues.  Relevance and importance don't seem to be in the calculation.  Now don't get me wrong.  When there is a disaster or some sort of atrocity or some international event, then it's proper to cover it.  Of course, at some point the coverage becomes 'over the top'.  And they usually don't cover events in some place that Americans don't think or care about.  When there are dozens of people killed by a suicide bomber or shooter in a remote African or Middle Eastern country, they don't give a shit.  

I was struck this morning by the continuous coverage by all the cable news channels of Attorney General Sessions testimony before the House Judiciary Committee.  My perspective is that this was just more plowing of the same ground.  More asked and answered confrontations.  More attempts at gotchas by the Democrats and more attempts at vindication by the Republicans.  More 'we need to investigate Trump collusion with Russia' by the Dems and more 'we need to investigate crooked Hillary' by the Reps.  Blah, Blah, Blah.  But beyond the rhetoric I continue to be stunned by people (not just members of Congress) who would impugn the integrity, patriotism and honesty of this man who has a 40 year history as a private attorney, a State Attorney General, a U.S. Attorney, a Senator, and Attorney General.  He is a good and decent man who is being unfairly maligned and mistreated because of political calculations.  I think it's pretty shameful.  Of course, the other side will say that treating Hillary badly is shameful.  Please...

But as I watched before embarking on the day, I was reminded of the people in the second row.  They are the ones sitting against the wall behind the members of Congress.  As I watched the Representatives, some pretty attuned and cognizant of the issues and some clueless (I'm talking to you Rep Conyers) I hearkened back to some of the hearings that I attended while a student at National War College in Washington, DC.  We did quite a bit of studying our government, to include Congress.  That study included attending various hearings and events to get a feel for how the Congress works.  It struck me then and again today as I watched, that the people in the second row were really pulling the strings.  They are the staffers, the lawyers, the political hacks, the PR people, even the Interns who do the research, write the papers, and persuade their Members that their position should be his or her position.  Now I'm not saying that many aren't in agreement, but many (most?) members just don't have the background or knowledge to spout some of the nonsense that they do.  So what are they doing?  They are dancing to the tune of their party and their leaders.  Cross the party and you won't be there very long.  And here's the other thing.  The K Street lobbyists aren't sitting in the second row, but they might as well be.  Their influence is deeply felt throughout the room.  There is no doubt about it.  

So I watched this circus and it was distressing.  When I hear the provocative accusations, the ignorant speculation, and the outright disrespect I am disheartened at how inculcated the swamp is in our political process.  And I'm not sure it can be fixed.  

No comments: