Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Police Brutality

Police brutality (especially against black men) is all the rage in the news these days.  You've had to have been living under a rock not to have seen all the stories about the Ferguson and New York incidents.  I've posted about it and I thought the comments I linked to were pretty good.  I'm especially confident that all that are protesting the Michael Brown shooting in Ferguson are ignorant opportunists.  Too much contradicting evidence.  Too many liars.  Too much outrage from the likes of Sharpton.  Too much logic that challenging a police officer by trying to grab his gun, hitting him, and then charging him will result in mortal wounds.  In New York, it seems different.  The video evidence really points to some sort of overreach by the police.  I'm not an expert so I'm not sure how it would be defined, but it seems to me the cops really overreacted.  That a death resulted in tragic.  And someone needs to be held accountable.  That the Grand Jury didn't bring any charges seems sort of lame.  I hope that the DA or the Feds do something.

But as is typical, the media didn't tell the story very well.  They like demonstrations.  They like drama.  They do all they can to instigate the protests.  So they have some news to report about.  And of course Obama is no help.  The divider in chief is consistent in trying to divide Americans against each other.  So not very much is told about the other side.  What the police have to put up with.  If you think they have a cush job, you're wrong.  They put their life on the line everyday to keep the piece.  Are they all perfect?  No.  Are mistakes never made?  Of course not.  But my experience is they are doing the best they can in a very dangerous situation.  This video is pretty good at laying out what they are up against.  This issue will evolve and there will be a lot more discussion.  I just wish (hope?) that both sides could be equally heard.

1 comment:

Chick said...

Since both of my sons are Law Enforcement Officers, and a number of my friends are retired from LEO service. I'm very sensitive to this subject. I think that it's despicable how the media fed into the instigators in Ferguson, and how one sided their "reporting" went. And why are we, as the viewing public, expected to sympathize with looters and arsonists?