Sunday, July 19, 2015

Marriage

It's been a few weeks since the SCOTUS decision on marriage.  You know...everyone has the right to marry.  Everyone includes gay people.  While I don't like that decision from a Constitutional perspective, I understand it.  The social imperative is compelling.  Religious objections are protected, except where they aren't, but it's the best solution available.  There will be complications and inequities, but it is what it is.  We need to move on.

Then a week or so ago my church, the Episcopalians, voted at General Convention to allow same gender marriage.  Of course, as good Episcopalians they gave Bishops and Priests an out.  They don't have to perform marriage rites for same gender couples if they don't want to.  And I'm sure there will be some who won't.  I'm thinking of the more conservative parts of the country.  But here in SoCal I'm sure most will.

So now you're asking, so what?  It's over.  But the problem for many is that it isn't.  Many will resist.  They will object on what they think are valid grounds.   And all need to be respected and heard.  But I'm thinking about the upcoming political battle for the leadership of the country.  I saw a very good perspective that sums up my thoughts.  You can read it here.  I hope that those on my side of the fence who are battling for the Presidency can come to terms with this and accept the direction that the  country is moving.  Because if they can't or won't, they will have a problem.  They will be carrying a big loadstone around their neck.  And they will never got the vote of many in the millennial generation who otherwise might consider them.  And that would be a shame.

No comments: