Thursday, May 5, 2016

Customer Service

As I go through everyday life it occurs to me that the aspect of customer service in many companies has somehow become an afterthought.  It seems like every day that I encounter a situation in which I expect a company to do the right thing or respond in a certain manner, and it doesn't happen.  When I say company, I'm really talking about employees.  Employees are just a reflection of their company and so many don't realize that.  They get in their own little world and assume that they can behave in any manner they please when dealing with the public and there will be few ramifications.  So it strikes me that it's worth identifying and commenting on those companies that, at least in my experience, go above and beyond in customer service.  Now this isn't some coveted award.  There won't be any celebrations of companies with great customer service at Mike's At The Beach.  But if you have a choice or if you are looking for something within the sphere of these companies, then my suggestion is to lean towards these folks.  Because in my experience you're going to get great customer service.

Ace Hardware--"Ace is the place".  Everytime I go into our local Ace, I'm amazed the helpful and friendly people who cheerfully greet me.  They consistently know where everything is, are willing to spend extra time helping me solve problems, and even recommend other stores if they don't have the item I'm looking for.  



Southwest Airlines--They have customer service down to a tee.  In the age of airlines who are expensive, have limited schedules, have all kinds of extra and hidden costs, don't seem to care about their customers, and have surly flight attendents, Southwest Airlines is an exception.  Almost everything about their operation is opposite of what you experience with normal airlines.  They are effecient in scheduling, what you see is what you get, their costs are reasonable, and their caring about their customers is legendary.  They are a refreshing change to the status quo.

Viking Cruises--We've traveled with Viking twice and both times were wonderful.  They are the epitome of professionalism.  Our experience has been that they are friendly, caring, consistent, knowledgable, and thorough.  At every turn they paid incredible attention to detail and were able to fulfill every wish and need.  When you're traveling, you want things to be easy, trustworthy and consistent and that is the definition of Viking.




American Express--There have been so many times when AMEX has exhibited superior customer service.  We recently completed an international trip and had no problems anywhere.  They continually monitor my purchases and if there is anything out of the ordinary, they notify me and don't hesitate to work to get to the bottom of any issues.  They have a brand that is recongized around the world and when using AMEX, you know that the purchase is secure.



USAA--United Services Automobile Association (USAA) is an insurance company for members of the military and their families.  Over the years they have expanded their services and now offer banking, financial management, and a host of other things.  I've been a member for over 40 years and their service is second to none.  I've literally never had one problem when dealing with USAA.  







No comments: