Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Hatred of our President

With each passing day I'm more and more disappointed and perplexed by the vile hatred I see directed towards President Trump by otherwise seemingly reasonable people.  That my fellow Americans are so angry at the President that they are determined to do everything in their power to subvert any policy put forth based on a previously unseen level of hatred is just unprecedented.  At least in my lifetime it is.  I think that there was probably just as much hatred of Lincoln, but that's a long time ago.

I knew that a lot of people hated some of his views and positions during the campaign, but I thought that they would moderate themselves when he won.  I knew that a lot of people wanted and expected Hillary to win, but I thought that when she didn't they would see the peaceful transfer of power and resist some of his policies and support some things that they could live with.  After all, this is how it's normally been.  I thought that since he is not a traditional conservative, that there would be some Democrats who would be willing to work with him on some of his positions that would be acceptable to the other side.  I thought that at some point the press would eventually start to treat him fairly.  I thought that this ridiculous Russia story would eventually fade.  I thought that people would see the need to protect our borders and get rid of criminal, illegal aliens.  I thought that the existential threat from political Islam would be recognized and he would receive support in the war against it.

But I was wrong.  It is amazing to me that so many people can't get past his personality and hate him personally.  There seems to be no ability to have a policy discussion.  There seems to be no ability to seek the greater good.  Compromise is gone.  The press have no desire to moderate their hatred.  There a judges that are determined to thwart his policies based on their hatred of him.

I can barely watch the news and I've had to hide or unfollow many friends on Facebook.  I'm careful not to make any political statements over there because it immediately brings out morons who know nothing but hate.

Frankly, it's worrisome.  I know it's early and some successes should normally beget a let up in the hate.  But I'm not sure.  I'm just not sure...

No comments: