Monday, October 13, 2014

Musings

If you've been reading the blog for a while, you may have noticed that I haven't been posting much lately.  My son rightly noticed and told me to get my sh!t together and and get back with it.  And he has a point.  I admit to being lazy.  I've blamed it on being on vacation, on playing a lot of golf, on doing all the things I wind up doing in retirement that seem to keep me busier than I expected.  So as I thought about getting back in the game it struck me that maybe one of the reasons I've not been very active on the blog is because there is just too damn much to comment on.  It is almost mind-boggling.  Here's just a partial list of the issues and a comment or two on them.  Over the next few weeks I'll try and put a little more meat on the bones.

  • ISIS--if this isn't the subject of the day, I don't know what is.  It is beyond my how some don't view these assholes as an existential threat to the U.S. and our way of life.  It is clear that Obama is only playing lip service.  The ridiculously weak air campaign (if you can call it that) is for show...for politics.  This cancer is being allowed to spread and we will pay for it one of these days.  And it will be a steep price.
  • Ebola--scary but not overwhelming.  We have the capacity and capability to manage this scare. The problem is who do you believe?  It's come to the point that almost no one in government is believable.  Like many things, it's very political.  Why not stop flights from West Africa?  Why not set up regional isolation and treatment centers?  Why not tell the truth?  Because it's political.
  • Bergdahl--Slime
  • Snowden--Double slime!
  • The election--we're a little less than a month out and it's really getting tiresome.  The lies, the ridiculous claims, the polls, the pundits, the predictions...it's just getting to be too much.  My prediction is that the Republicans will take the Senate.  Of course, most think that so I'm not out on a limb.  All I know is that another potential check on this rogue President would be a good thing.  
  • The NFL--the games are great but the other stuff is almost out of control.  Abuse claims, drugs, the money...tiresome.  Just play the damn game.
  • The drought--here in California, the drought is getting bad.  But we've seen this before.  All of nature goes in cycles.  And this too will pass.  It won't be pleasant and there will be lots of angst, but it will pass.
  • The Market--yikes!
  • Idiot of the year--Susan Rice.  Actually she's probably idiot of the century.
  • Hillary--it's going to be interesting.  I'm thinking it's not going to be the walk in the park that everyone thinks.  Or maybe I'm hoping that.  Don't know.  Either way it'll be fun to see Bubba in action again.   Don't really know why she wants to do it.  Power I guess.
There are others but these come to mind.  Will have more in the coming weeks as I find the time.

No comments: