Wednesday, April 17, 2019

A New Home for Illegal Aliens

I've never been fully on the Trump bandwagon.  Like many, I really like a lot of the things he has done, the policies he's implemented, how he seems to have refreshed our standing in the world, and his ability to stick it to the other side.  But there are also a lot of things (quirks?) to his personality that drive me up the wall.  Chief among those is Twitter.  He can be a mean, insufferable prick on Twitter.  He will say that it's the only way for him to get his message out, but he is frequently over the top.  He also is very much a generalist.  Meaning he doesn't do a lot of specifics.  And when people like me try to argue in his favor, it can become difficult.  In short, I think he has done a lot of good and has made a difference, but he's a difficult guy to like.  I've written about this before so it's not really a big revelation.  Just reinforcing fact.

Perhaps the biggest mess we have today is immigration.  It is a disaster.  And I think some of his policies have exacerbated the problem.  But it is a mess and a disaster that is a long time in the making.  From my vantage point I see a President trying to enforce national sovereignty and maintain the rule of law.  And at every turn he is thwarted or blocked by recalcitrant Democrats.  It's not even a political difference or a policy difference.  It's hatred.  Pure and unadulterated hatred.  That they can't and won't work together is troubling.  But that they hate our President so much is scary.

I don't think shipping illegal aliens to sanctuary cities is necessarily the best idea.  I'm sure there will be lots of unintended consequences.  It could backfire.  But I understand it.  When a group clearly hates you, the natural human response is to fire back.  And that's what he is doing.  I think it is unproductive, is probably and inconsequential step, and in the long run won't make a difference.  But I'm sure it makes him feel good.


No comments: