Sunday, June 9, 2019

Pride

I don't really know why I'm posting about this.  I guess because this is "Pride" month and it's in the news.  As an aside San Diego's Pride parade is July 13th which is after Pride month, but I digress.  But, I mean, I generally have had the same epiphany that many have had over the past decade or so and believe who someone decides to love is none of my business.  The issues surrounding the legitimacy of the "gay" movement are undeniably controversial.  But in certain quarters, acceptance and celebration of LGBTQ people is unprecedented.  In fact, it could be argued that it's the biggest and fastest social and cultural change in human history.  Think about it.  25 years ago we weren't remotely where we are today as a society regarding these issues.  But now we see support on a broad scale.  Pride parades and celebrations are not only held they are celebrated by a wide swath of the populace.  And that is just fine.


Of course, there is still a lot of resistance.  In many quarters of our country the celebration of LGBTQ advances is still anathema.  In many parts of the world it is not only resisted it's abhorrent!  It's not only seen as deviant behavior it can be punished by death!  It is resisted culturally, governmentally, and religiously.  Many, many people have simply not been able or have not wanted to accept the change.  The resistance has also tragically resulted in violent acts against gay people.  This is never acceptable and should be condemned.  However, one factor here is the advocacy of much of the press.  They always, always take the most liberal, edgy position, so it's difficult to discern what they are reporting and what they are sensationalizing.  But what else is new?  So it will continue to take time and patience on the part of people who are advocates.

So as I said at the beginning, I don't really have issues with the movement.  But at the same time and for myself I'm not interested in advocating for it.  I'm supportive, but public displays of overtly sexual attention (gay or straight) makes me uncomfortable and I don't really think are appropriate.   But other than that the celebration is a non-issue for me.  But more and more I think it's weird that the whole world MUST officially celebrate the sexual behavior of a segment of the population.  And a very small segment of the population at that.  I guess it goes along with our current "anything goes" culture, but for me it's just not appropriate.  And I think they are in danger of overplaying their hand.  I think that the public displays that I've seen at events, on TV and in the news aren't helpful.  And they don't recruit the "average" person to the cause.  At least I don't think they do.  And if the average parent is on the fence or ambivalent, they likely won't be terribly supportive of an event that glorifies a sexual lifestyle that is outside the norm.  I also think in a strange way the "Pride" celebration is divisive in a way that advocates don't comprehend.  I hate to say it but there are a lot of people who just jump on a bandwagon becuase it's the politically correct thing to do.  Your friends and neighbors are doing it, so you'll go along with the crowd.  To win hearts and minds you need sincere cultural action and thought, not flamboyant parades and festivals.  They are fine, but to me they just contribute to a lot of people nodding their heads, saying the right thing, and then going about their day.  Not a judgment, just what I think.  I'm sure most advocates don't care about that so it's just my opinion.  And this is my blog...so there you go.

And this opinion is totally non-PC.   I can't and don't think I ever will get behind the "T" part of LGBTQ.  Transgenderism.  A person is born a man or a woman.  And no amount of outward appearance change, hormonal treatment, or surgery is going to change that.  I have no animus toward the person, but I think our society is doing a tremendous disservice to people with this mental illness to just blithely accept their torment rather than helping and encouraging them to seek treatment of some sort.  And to be clear...I'm not a doctor or a therapist or have any credentials.  That's just what I think.  And I'm an old guy who's thoughts on this issue don't really mount to a hill of beans.  I'm sure many of the hip people who believe the opposite would think I'm a troglodyte.  And that's okay.



No comments: