Sunday, January 17, 2021

The Trump Presidency

There will probably be more articles, essays, speeches, panels and debates than we can count that will assess the Trump presidency.  They will go on and on and on.  Depending on who is doing the talking or writing, the assessments will take on dramatically different tones.  And ground truth will depend on where you sit.  You will either believe the proposition being put forth or you won't.  

I've already seen several attempts at describing the past four years.  Most are superficial and of course probably premature because time needs to go by to make assessments.  That is in most cases.  In Trump's case, there is plenty to dissect.

I saw an article in National Review today that caught my eye.  I generally like the author's take on things and I think even as the ink isn't dry on the Trump Presidency, he has done a good job of laying out the goods and bads.  At least I think he has done a good job.  You can read the article, "A Final Assessment of the Trump Presidency, and the Path Forward" here.  It's a long read and the lead in to the meat of the article is a bit tedious, but like I said, I think he captures it pretty well.  

I particularly like the three critiques of Trump's Presidency..."the incalculable damage his character and behavior has caused, the precedent of what he has done in fiscal management, and the dysfunctional management of personnel".  Many will not agree but I think it's pretty spot on.  

No comments: