Sunday, April 20, 2014

Sez Me

For most of my life I've been a pretty average American when it comes to religion.  Go to church on Sunday, pray for what is important to me, recognize a higher being.  But not obsessed, not consumed.    But as I've gotten older I've drawn closer to religion and the comfort it brings.  Maybe it's me facing my mortality, maybe it's looking for some structure in an otherwise chaotic world, I don't know.  We are Episcopalian.  Not rigid, but certainly full of tradition.  And it's a comfort.  It's something to hang on to.  And on days like Easter it can be pretty special.  Just the story of the resurrection.  I mean...take a step back.  Think of the power of the story.  The faith it requires.  The momentum that Christianity has developed over the centuries.  It is really breathtaking.  And here's something I really don't get.  As we go through our lives, we are confronted every day by chaos, bitterness, cruelty, unfairness, etc.  Faith gives us (me) a way to get through it all.  So why do those who don't believe have to attack those who do?  Especially in America.  If there is anything we hold onto in this country it's freedom of religion.  People can believe whatever they want.  So those who don't have faith, that's fine.  But just leave the rest of us alone!

No comments: