Friday, July 21, 2017

Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

I try to be moderate in most things.  I'm not a rabid partisan for most politicians or causes.  I guess the exception was Hilary.  I was strongly and unalterably opposed to her as our President.  I've detailed the reasons over the last year or so and don't need to regurgitate it all here.  But for the most part I try and see both sides and advocate for what I believe is in the best interests of the country and the population as a whole.  

I've not been a never-Trumper nor a member of the resistance.  Like Obama, I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt and give him a chance to produce.  My assessment after six months is that he's done some good things, some bad things, has been slow off the mark on several things, and still has a ton of stuff to work on if he's going to live up to the hype and have a chance at reelection.  But there are several major issues that continue to flummox him and if they continue, his chances of success are greatly diminished.  First is the all-out, never-ending disdain and antipathy of the press.  They are clearly out to get him and are doing a good job.  They can use "anonymous sources" and get away with anything and accuse him and his administration of anything.  Second is the rock-solid block from Democrats to anything Trump.  Maybe they can't beat him, but they can sure slow him down and make him look ineffective.  Third are leaks.  I don't know what's being done about them, but it appears not much.  If he doesn't get a handle on leaks, they will continue to trip him up.  There are others but finally, and probably most importantly, he is his own worst enemy.  Every time he starts to get momentum he shoots himself in the foot with an ill-advised tweet or comment.  It's maddening for those of us who would like for some of his initiatives to get implemented.  

Which brings me to a strong reading recommendation.  I'm a big fan of National Review.  I think their writing is mostly conservative but the writers there usually will call a spade a spade.  They will agree when appropriate and call someone out when appropriate.  I particularly like Jonah Goldberg.  His writing is smart, clever, and usually something I really resonate with.  He has a Friday column called "The G File" that is well worth reading.  You can subscribe on their website.  This week's column is just totally spot on from my perspective.  You can read it here.  You're welcome!

No comments: