Tuesday, October 31, 2023

PROFESSIONAL PROTESTORS

Earlier today as I was perusing the news I saw a story about protestors disrupting a Congressional hearing in which Secretary of State Blinken was testifying about the Administration's request for funding to support Ukraine and Israel (and a few other things).  He was repeatedly interrupted by protestors in the hearing room.  It was very disruptive.  As you can imagine they were dressed in all manor, had signs emphasizing their protests, and screamed out their objections.  They went one at a time so they had to be removed one at a time so the disruptions continued for the whole hearing.

Back in the 90's when I was at National War College, I took a few courses on the workings of Congress and spent a fair amount of time up on capital hill going to meetings, meeting various leaders, and attending hearings to get the feel of the workings of government.  It was a fascinating experience to spend some time learning the nitty gritty sausage making of governing.  Most of the hearings I attended were pretty routine, but there were a few that were disrupted by protestors.  

Fast forward to 15 years later and I attended a few congressional hearings and events advocating the potential of unmanned aerial systems (drones in the common vernacular).  My company was a major player in the development of that technology and we had the occasion to visit with staffers and Congressmen to ensure they were supportive of budgets to move these systems forward.  I didn't have a big role, but I spent some time up there and once again was fascinated by the inner workings of our government.  And once again, I was in an event inside the capital that was disrupted by protestors. 

And guess what?  I saw one of the same people that were disrupting hearings back in the 90's and when I returned 15 years later.  Literally the same person!  It was eye opening to see the her, in the same clothes, holding the same signs with different words.  See the woman in the photo below.  I saw her at a few hearings in the 90's and I saw her 15 years later!


The media was full of more photos and I'll include a few below.  But I remembered that I thought then and I continue to think that these folks are paid to do what they do.  How else could you explain it?  I mean, who thinks about and then puts into action a plan to go disrupt a congressional hearing.  And who has the time to do that?  Like I said, what goes on up on capitol hill is largely sausage making.  And sausage making can be dirty and messy.  I know it's just part of the process but it's also a performance.  Someone is funding these activities and counting on them getting noticed on the evening news, or Twitter, or wherever.  So the next time you see some drama unfolding in the nation's capitol, take it for what it's worth.   A performance.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funded by Soros and his Open Society. No brainer.