Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Nike

I'm sure most of you have heard of the latest controversy of the day that emerged today regarding Nike choosing Colin Kaepernick as the face of the their advertising campaign celebrating 30 years of the "Just Do It" campaign.  The tag line is "Believe in something.  Even if it means sacrificing everything."  Some are calling it stupid and some are calling it brilliant.  To most people of my age and experience, it seems like a big slap in the face.  It's an extension of the whole kneeling during the National Anthem that he started in the NFL and has become a hot mess.  Most people I know personally think he's a jackass and some are even boycotting the NFL.  And it's not about what he or they can or can't do.  Of course they have the right to kneel.  Again, most people I know don't dispute that.  It's really about respect.  The common refrain is that they are protesting oppression of black people.  Okay...I get that.  It's an age old issue and in my opinion only gets better person by person, community by community.  The national stage means very little.  And I wonder if they've considered the insult to the millions who have died for this idea called the U.S.A.  Fundamentally, I think most who object to the kneeling think there's a time and a place for everything, and where they are exercising their right is neither the time nor the place.  And this becomes exacerbated because most of these guys are millionaires who appear to be taking the easy road.  If they really care about this issue what are they doing off the field.  I'm also seeing a lot of stories about Nike's factories in Asia where their shoes are made.  The average worker makes 30 cents and hour.  Yes, that's right.  30 cents.  Think about that when you go price your next pair of Nike's.  But I don't think Nike was talking to me or people like me.  I don't think they care about my demographic.  They are targeting a much, much younger and "hipper" generation.  I believe that they are betting that a broad cross-section won't be offended and many will admire the selection.  And those that don't?  Well, they just don't matter that much.  And there is an old marketing rule that public relations, good or bad, is good.  Of course it's true only to a point, but generally getting your name out there, if it doesn't damage you too much, is good. Nike obviously made a calculation that the risk was worth the move.  And that is their right.  We'll see how it turns out.  It will be interesting to watch their stock price in the coming weeks and months.  It will most likely be a story that has legs for a week or so and then will be forgotten.  But maybe not.  In the meantime I'll just leave the best response I've seen here.  It's something to think about.

No comments: