Monday, December 23, 2013

Musings

I started this Blog on Oct 7, 2012.  Since then I've had 523 posts.  Yikes!!  Some good posts, some bad.  I've had some regular features like Motivation Monday and Friday Funnies that have been fun.  At least I've had fun with them.  I also had a regular feature for a while called Wednesdays With Jimmy in which I linked various Jimmy Buffett music videos.  I really liked doing that but ran out of videos.  :(.  I've also had my share of rants.  Sometimes I just can't help myself.  Such as it is.

I'm really glad I started the Blog.  Not because it gives me a chance to spout off about things, but because it makes me think about things.  As the story of the day makes the news, it's usually the case that I have an opinion (surprise, surprise!).  But having an opinion and articulating it are two different things.  This Blog has forced me to think through some of my opinions, my impressions.  Sometimes thinking through things in a direct and thoughtful manner, has caused me to change, or at least moderate what, in my younger years, would have been pretty cut and dried.  I've heard that with age comes wisdom.  Don't know about that but I do like to think I'm more discerning and thoughtful regarding what I say.

Since we're coming to the end of the year, it's seems appropriate to spend some time once again thinking through some issues and offering my opinions.  Not because they are right, but because they are mine.  I don't even know if anyone cares, but like I said previously, writing things down really makes me think through the issue.  So here are some of the random things on my mind these days:
  • Cynics--these folks have always perplexed me.  Whether its over big things or little, I've always thought that developing cynicism is just a huge waste of time.  But it seems like there are more and more cynical people these days.  And they can become cynical over the smallest, most trivial matters.  Why?  For me life is too short to become cynical.  And when I can, I try and head off those kind of thoughts.
  • C&W--music that is.  I've always been a lover of music.  Have even had a few posts about it.  And I've loved all kinds of music.  Of course, some genres more than others, rock and roll being dominant.  But, never was Country & Western music very much in the mix.  But now it is.  Weird.  I just really like the lyrics, the ballads, the stories, the performers, etc, etc, etc.  Maybe it's something that has come with age.  I don't know.  I have a friend that reported the same phenomenon happening to him.  He's my contemporary.  A rock and roll guy.  And yet, C&W.  I don't get it.  But I like it.
  • Politics--I probably shouldn't even go here.  And I'll limit myself because I could write all night.  Obviously, we've all become more polarized.  Never has the country been more divided.  There are a lot of explanations and reasons, but it's just true.  So we have political leaders who are polarized.  They play to their base.  They only want votes to stay in office.  To keep the power.  Not to do their job for the people.  I'm not talking about Democrats or Republicans, Liberals or Conservatives.  I'm talking about all of them.  I am fully convinced that once they are in power, 90% will say and do anything to remain in power.  It's a sad state of affairs.  Why someone would want to get into politics is beyond me but I guess it's got to be the power.  And it seems like it's gone beyond one person, one vote.  Because there are powerful forces trying to get our votes.  I do have my prejudices and if you've been reading you know they run to moderate conservative.  I suppose I'm a product of my environment and my age.  We are coming to the end of 2013 and we've been talking about the next Presidential election in 2016 for at least a year.  Pathetic.  And everyone on the Democratic side thinks Hillary has it locked up.  So be it.  The Republicans are a bit more open and it will be interesting to see which way they go.  If they go farther right, they will lose.  Simple as that.  And then we'll have 8 more years of "progressive" policy.  So our only hope in that situation is a divided government.  
  • Troops--you knew from the git-go that I'm a retired Naval Aviator.  And I'm very proud of that.  Since 9/11 there has been strong support for the troops.  And it's great because they are putting their lives on the line for us.  We should be appreciative.  But I'm sensing out in society some of that good will is waning.  People are weary of war.  We are in the longest war in our history and no one seems to be paying attention.  Everyone just wants it to be over.   So I guess the retrenchment in support is natural, but I sure hope a baseline level of support remains.  Because they deserve it.
  • Duck Dynasty--what a stupid thing to dominate the airways.  Phil Roberson said some stupid and crass things.  A&E made a financial decision.  Simple as that.  
  • The gay issue (not that there's anything wrong with it)--Personally, I'm just tired of it.  Just let people live.  There are so many life and death issues in the world today and we let this dominate us.  It's crazy.  The gay community doesn't do themselves any favors by flaunting what can be a pretty flamboyant lifestyle but the people who are closed-minded about this issue need to come into the 21st century.  Just let people live.
  • Merry Christmas--This time of year I say it every chance I have to everyone I can.  If someone doesn't like it, too bad.
  • The media--How far is too far?  I'm a huge 1st Amendment guy.  But in the last several years my faith has been challenged.  I fundamentally don't think many journalists are unbiased or ethical.  They all lean one way or another.  They all would sell their souls for a big story.  They all seem to think it's okay to set people up.  For my money the 4th estate has descended to low depths.  I don't know how they can be brought back.  I guess one way would be for some of them to just tell the truth.  
  • Social media--It's a lot of fun, but it can be addicting and destructive.  If you're an adult, keep it in moderation.  If you're an adult with kids, restrict their access and monitor what they are doing.  Be the parent.
  • Obamacare--it's a disaster that I won't have to use.  Thankfully.  
  • Global Warming--I'm a skeptic.  I think humans have had an impact on the environment.  No doubt about it.  How bad it is, what the timing is, etc is open to conjecture and speculation.  I'd like to see honest debate on the subject.  But the global warming advocates are the definition of zealots.  They aren't interested in discussion.  Why?  Could it be that the leaders of the movement stand to gain from the hysteria and they've recruited a lot of useful idiots?  Don't know...but I wonder.
  • The United States through the eyes of the world--I travel internationally quite a bit.  Asia, the Middle East, Europe.  All over the place.  One thing I've noticed in the last few years is a real lack of respect for America.  I see it in the newspapers, in the television shows, in talking to people.  I've had people in the Middle East ask me why we trust the Iranians and why we are making friends with them.  The current Administration seems to want a deal at any cost.  I've had friends in Japan ask me why we let the Chinese bully us.  And you'd have to be blind to not see it in the foreign policy decisions of both foes and friends alike.  Putin routinely spits in our eye and the bullies of the world like North Korea, Iran, China, Russia, Venezuela, and a host of others trample on rights and do what they want.  And we do nothing.  Simply put, we don't garner much respect in the world.  We have abdicated our role as a leader.  And after 12 years of war I guess it's understandable that we'd want to just come home and hunker down.  Obama once said that elections have consequences.  Well, we're finding out just how bad these consequences are.  But here's the deal.  When there is a vacuum of leadership, someone will fill it.  And the result might be not to our liking.  In fact they are likely not to be of our liking.  So sometime in the future something ugly will happen that we won't be able to ignore.  And...I fear we won't be ready.

No comments: