Thursday, December 22, 2016

Cabinets, Recounts, and Recriminations

The last few weeks have been like no Presidential transition that we've ever seen.  Amongst all of the things that have happened, there are a few things that stand out to me.  The first is the method that Trump has used to stock his cabinet.  It has really taken on the trappings of a reality show.  I think that is a bit because he's proven larger than life, a bit because the media is on the lookout for anything that they can use against him, a bit because he is quite a showman, and in large part because the people seem interested like never before.  I mean, when is the last time you remember caring about who will be appointed Secretary of the Interior or Commerce or Labor or most of the other positions. I get State and Defense, but the rest are usually pretty anonomyous.  But not this time.  Every move seems to be a show.  I'm not sure that's great...but it's fun to watch.  

As to his cabinet, I'm generally pleased with the selections.  Each one of them seems to have expertise in the area that they'll be in charge of.  They've all demonstrated that they can be successful.  They all are generally respected.  Oh, the Dems will go apoplectic and claim that the sky is falling for each of them, but it will generally be to no avail.  Remember, Harry Reid took away the ability to filibuster Presidential appointments so all they need is a majority.   And the Republicans control the Senate.  As Obama famously said, "elections have consequences".  The media will pick up the narrative and try to trash every one of them.  But again, it will largely fade away.

The second big thing that has happened is that the media doesn't seem to be getting any smarter.  For the life of me I don't know why they let Trump play them like a fiddle.  It is so obvious.  They are not aquitting themselves very well in this post-election time.  I thought that they would do the analysis, figure out how he operates, and respond accordingly.  But no.  He is still making them look like fools.  

And speaking of fools...the whole recount hysteria and attempt to influence the Electors was stupid and embarrassing.  It was never, ever going anywhere.  And this is another example of the media just not getting it.  How they covered it and how much they covered it was so, so naive.  


Another thing that I cannot beleive is that the Dems are doing so much naval gazing.  I've heard stories about Hillary considering running again.  Please, please do it!  As much as I'd like to never here of her and Bubba in public life again, it would be sweet to see her lose again.  But I just can't beleive she'd do it.  And the Dems seem to have no new answers.  Their standard bearers seem to be Bernie and Biden.  Really?  And the head of the DNC might be Ellison, a Muslim who has time to the Muslim Brotherhood.  Really?  Okay...if that's what you want to do.  Knock yourself out.


And then there are the celebrities.  I really don't spend too much time thinking about their idiocy, but the media thrusts them and their whiney pleas in our face so much, that it is difficult to ignore them.  Why can't they just do their job.  And just as bad are all the Libs who just can't accept the Trump win.  I've really never seen anything like it.  I've said this before but it bears repeating.  When Obama won in 2008 he wasn't my choice.  I had grave reservations about his direction, experience and focus.  But even though he wasn't my guy, he was my President.  So I gave him my support.  Now, he lost me pretty soon, but I started out giving him the benefit of the doubt.  So I hope that as we get closer and Trump assumes the Presidency and the sky doesn't fall, that a few of the self-rightous libs will get off their high horse, and give him a chance!

No comments: