Saturday, September 9, 2017

An Angry Black Man

Have you heard of this guy, Ta-Nehisi Coates.  No?  He's an up and coming writer of I guess you'd call social commentary.  He's got an article out at The Atlantic called "Donald Trump is the First White President".  You can read it here.  It's a long read, but is very...I don't even know.  Disturbing?

I scarcely know what to say.  It is one of the most shocking, angry, outlandish, and sobering (from the perspective that a lot of people heap praise on him) articles I've read...ever.  I like to read all perspectives to keep abreast of all avenues of thought.  So I stumbled on this over at Real Clear Politics.  I guess there is a large segment of the population that resonates with his dubious rhetoric and poisonous theories.

That he is smart cannot be denied.  He is very adept at spinning the story of America as a despicable place filled with racists.  But it just made me sad.  I either am oblivious to what so many think is true, or a lot of our citizens are being led like sheep to believe the worst of each other.  I feel like screaming.  But maybe the best thing is resignation and retreat.  Don't know.  All I know is it makes me sad.

UPDATE:  As I've gone throught the day thinking a bit about this I've decided that I expressed the wrong emotion.  Although I do have an amount of sadness about this what I really am is mad.  I'm pissed that this guy who is obviously smart would use his intelligence to publish such drivel.  I'm pissed that The Atlantic would give him a platform.  And I'm infuriated at what crap like this has done to our nation.  But hey...that's just me.

No comments: