Saturday, October 28, 2017

George Washington...Slaveowner

I saw a story in the news today that is both infuriating and sad.  But mostly infuriating.  The best article I saw was in 'The Federalist' and posted it over on FB.  You can read it here.  It's about Christ Episcopalian Church in Alexandria, Virginia taking down plaques honoring George Washington and Robert E. Lee in the Sanctuary.  It seems that the church wants to be welcoming to all and since these men were slaveowners it might be threatening to some.  It is just almost beyond belief.  I say almost because unfortuntately this politically correct bullshit has gotten way out of control.

The sad thing is that the article says that the decision was a unanimous one by the Vestry.  I'm on the Vestry at my church and I can tell you with certainty if my church wanted to go down this shameful path during the time of my tenure, it wouldn't be unanimous.  This kind of stuff makes me want to walk away and just sleep in on Sunday mornings!

No comments: