Friday, December 7, 2012

Beat Army


I didn't go to the Naval Academy.  In fact throughout my Naval career I was among those who gave the "ringknockers" a hard time.  It was always good natured fun to engage in a bit of spirited rivalry between those who did and those who didn't.  Of course I always rooted for Navy when the game came along.  But it wasn't a big deal.  At least not to me.  

And then lo and behold my son announced he wanted to go to the Naval Academy!  I was about as proud as it was possible to be.  Of course I knew it would be difficult.  I knew the experience would change his life forever.  And I was right.  The foundation that I like to believe his mother and I instilled in him was built upon during four onerous but wonderful years.  I'm confident that he wouldn't change a thing.   Much of the strong, solid, ethical person he is was formulated and solidified during those four years in Annapolis.  And then my daughter met and married a terrific guy who also was a USNA grad and good friend of my son.  He is the second of three sons who attended the Naval Academy and has all those same strong character traits you see in the best this country has to offer.  We became a true USNA family!  Who knows...maybe one day one of the Grandkids will be reporting to Alumi Hall on I-Day.

We also got to participate in many activities while he was there and came to realize what a special place the Naval Academy is.  I was a parent but also a Naval Officer.  Over time I became as dedicated to the Academy and as embroiled in the the Army-Navy rivalry as anyone.  It is a wonderful rivalry.  A special rivalry.  A fierce rivalry.  It occurs in all sports but is most intense in football.  If you've never been to an Army-Navy game, you are missing one of the best events in sports.  Actually one of the best events in the country!  There is a special feeling in the stadium that isn't found anywhere else.  All these guys will be brothers in arms soon, but for tomorrow, they want nothing more than to beat the other team.  And they won't quit.  Both sides will play to the end...no matter what the score is.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't be prouder! Beat ARMY!