Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Pet Peeve Wednesday

It seems that the tragedy at Sandy Hook has colored most of my thinking in the last few days.  Sadness has turned to outrage.  The idea that a guy with clear mental issues (if not illness) had access to an AR-15 Bushmaster is outrageous.  Really the idea that any civilian off the street has access to such weapons is outrageous.  And that leads me to this week's pet peeve.

And at first I thought it was situational, but the more I think about it, it really can be pretty generic.  When something happens in our society, wherever it is on the spectrum of good to evil, there is a natural reaction by our leaders.  The vast majority who have anything to do with it will speak about the need to take action.   To do something.  And I think they are usually just playing a PR game.  Because nothing ever gets done.  I've come to the disappointing conclusion that the majority of our leaders are quite simply, cowards.  If you're in a position of leadership, take a stand.  If you truly believe in a position, fight for that position.  I'm generally not a Dianne Feinstein fan.   But at least she is taking a stand.  She wants to ban these heinous weapons.  Good for her.  The rest could take a lesson...

No comments: