Saturday, June 6, 2015

Before His Time

This week brought news of the death of Beau Biden, Vice President Joe Biden's son, of brain cancer at the age of 46.  By all accounts Beau was a wonderful human being, a dedicated husband and father, a patriot, and a proud and loving son.  In case you haven't seen a tribute, here's one of the better ones.



Of course, this story has no politics.  You couldn't know Joe Biden's story or see the love between the father and son and not feel the excruciating pain suffered by him and his family.  This was a good man whose life was cut short by that son of a bitch, cancer.

The other obvious thing about this story is the reality of the father presiding at the son's funeral.  That's not how it's supposed to be.  That's not the natural order of things.  But sometimes things happen that are not understandable.  But through all the excruciating stories of pain and heartbreak, you could see the love between the father and the son.  The mutual admiration.

To many people, there is nothing more important than family.  That's obviously the case with the Biden's.  I like to think that's true with me.  I cannot even imagine being in Joe's shoes.  Like I said, it's not the natural order of things.  And when something like this happens it makes you want to hug your loved ones a little tighter.  Fathers and sons sometimes have a special bond.  Not always.  Sometimes there's estrangement, jealously, alienation, etc.  Sometimes families drift apart.  I, I'm sure like Joe, feel extremely fortunate to have a wonderful and loving relationship with both my kids.  And I have a special and unique bond with both of them.  I can so relate to Joe's words about feeling like a success because my kids have done better than me.  When I look at my son, I only have pride and love.  He has become a wonderful man, husband, father and continues to be a loving son.  The tragedy of Beau Biden's death, as unspeakably sad as it is, at least has stimulated in me the feelings of love and pride that I hope my son knows are within me, but we sometimes don't articulate it very well.

No comments: