Tuesday, January 12, 2016

SOTU

I don't know why I'm surprised every year at the bullshit that the President feeds us at the State of the Union address.  Maybe it's because I expect more.  But it never happens.  At least this year isn't wasn't a long list of things he has done and wants to do that we all know won't happen because he knows they won't happen and won't work for them.  And a list of things he's accomplished that we all know is just his list.  But this speech was just empty.  He came up (or his speechwriter came up) with four points to talk about, rather than the usual laundry list of how great he and his fellow progressives are.  Income inequality, technology to solve climate change, not being the world's policeman, and being nicer to each other were the broad categories.  Really?  So that's what the President of the United States talks about in his last SOTU?  I guess if there is nothing else, those are as good as anything.  


I will give him that he is a gifted speaker.  He makes a person believe him.  I know, I've been there.  I can still remember a strong feeling that even though I didn't vote for him, he was my President.  I thought he could actually make a difference.  But over the years he has squandered whatever good will that I, and folks like me, had.  And it's sad.

Here are the four main points he expanded on tonight:
"So let’s talk about the future, and four big questions that we as a country have to answer – regardless of who the next President is, or who controls the next Congress.

  • First, how do we give everyone a fair shot at opportunity and security in this new economy?
  • Second, how do we make technology work for us, and not against us – especially when it comes to solving urgent challenges like climate change?
  • Third, how do we keep America safe and lead the world without becoming its policeman?
  • And finally, how can we make our politics reflect what’s best in us, and not what’s worst?"
The whole speech was disappointing and I'm not going to dissect every point.  That is...except to say that I believe he is so very wrong and does not have the best interests of the American people in mind on so many things.  But when he talked about that last point, it was not only disappointing, it was insulting.  Here's what he said,  
"The future we want – opportunity and security for our families; a rising standard of living and a sustainable, peaceful planet for our kids – all that is within our reach. But it will only happen if we work together. It will only happen if we can have rational, constructive debates.  It will only happen if we fix our politics."
This is, to be blunt, unbelievable.  If there has been anyone who has alienated, demonized, and ignored folks who didn't agree with him, it has been Obama.  We are where we are because of him.  He is the original "my way or the highway" guy.   It's going to take a lot to heal the damage he has done.  But he can't do it.  He has been so decisive that nothing he says can fix it.  

Here's another thing I wrote down because it was so opposite of what has happened that it almost struck me in the face.  
"Leadership means a wise application of military power.  And leading a coalition of countries to solve problems".  
 Sooooo...why hasn't he done that?  He talks a lot.  But it's just not true.  His national security policy, or lack of one, has been nothing short of a disaster.  We are weaker and world is a more dangerous place directly because of him.  No question about it.   

No comments: