Sunday, January 8, 2017

Golden Globes

I guess maybe I should title this Awards Shows because it really applies to all of them.  I watched some of it tonight.  I don't remember all the shows, but I know this starts it, then there is the Screen Actors Guild awards and the Academy Awards.  Of course the Emmy's and Grammys come in there somewhere.  In recent years, or maybe it only seems like recent years, there are special shows for black entertainment awards and Hispanic entertainment awards.  Maybe there are others.  Don't know.  There's also the MTV awards and the VH1 awards and the CMA awards.  I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting.

When I was in the Navy we had an annual symposium for various warfare specialties and gave out awards.  In my area it was things like pilot of the year or aircrew of the year or maintainer of the year or rescue of the year.  And a few others.  When I went to the aerospace industry there were various award events to celebrate accomplishments.  But there were only a few.  And it wasn't a huge deal.

If all these entertainment folks want to get together and award each other for performances, I think that's just fine.  The women mostly all look glamorous and the guys are handsome.  Maybe there are a few that aren't or make questionable choices in dress, but that's just their eccentricity.  And since they are "celebrities" we all are supposed to care about these awards.  And a significant number of us must because they always televise the awards shows.  If you don't want to watch, you don't have to watch.  I saw several movies this year and thought they were all pretty good.  I really liked La La Land and hope it wins some awards.  But it's not world peace.  It it doesn't win, well then the world will go on tomorrow.

I'm not sure when the whole thing got political.  Maybe all that we've been through in the last 18 months has generated the need for that segment of our society to speak out on issues of the day.  That they are generally way over to the left on the political spectrum is not even debatable.  And that's okay.  We've got all kinds.  I've seen social media blowing up tonight either praising or condemning.  I don't really get the passion.  If you don't like what they say, don't watch.  Personally, I turned it off after about 45 minutes.  It was just boring.

I did hear some of the Trump bashing and the condescension towards Republicans.  And that's okay too.  It's a free country.  But here's the thing.  Most of these folks are really, really, really out of touch with ordinary Americans.  Most of them live in a bubble.  Most of them nod wisely and sagely when someone older and more powerful says something ridiculous.  And it becomes self-perpetuating.  So they can continue to bash the "other side".  Fine by me.  Because the more they bash, the stronger the likelihood is that things will continue to not go their way.  Fine by me.

No comments: