Saturday, October 13, 2012

Bike for Life

I've always worked out in some way.  Tried to keep myself in reasonable shape.  Of course, when I was in the Navy there was a physical fitness test to pass so the motivation was obvious.  As I've gotten older the knees started to go.  Bummer!  But I got in the gym and did stationary bike, elliptical, and treadmill.  Boring!  But I've been hanging in because they give a good workout.  A few months ago a friend told me I should try biking.  I had never considered that.  But this is SoCal and a ton of people are out biking so I thought maybe there was something to it.

First thing I did was some research.  Sorta decided on a hybrid but needed some advice and all the gear.  Again, my buddy said head for blackmountainbicycles  Great recommendation!  These guys are pros.  And they made a neophyte feel pretty comfortable.  So I tried several bikes, settled on a Specialized Sirrus Elite (see it here:  http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/sirrus/sirruselite ) and got all the gear.  No, I didn't get the skin tight shorts.  I got some really cool regular looking shorts with the skin tight insert.  Much better for a regular dude.

Been riding now for a couple of months.  And it is kicking my a$$!!!  But I truly do love it.  It is really great to get out for a ride.  And there is no way I could get a better workout doing anything else I can think of (for an old guy...remember, I'm a member of the baby boomer club).  Did about 25 miles today.  Perfect day.  Came home exhausted but exhilerated.

If anyone out there decides to give it a try, my recommendation is do the research, go to a reputable bike shop that can give you good advice, and then jump in with both feet.

I'm signed up for a 25 mile ride on Nov 3 called Bike the Coast.  Oceanside Pier to Moonlight Beach in  Encinitas and back.  Yikes!  As my now grown daughter used to say when she was about 5 years old...it should be fun and hard, but not too hard.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know that grown daughter who spoke those prophetic words at age 5. I'm glad you're enjoying your biking. :)