Thursday, October 18, 2012

Yankee(s) Go Home

Sports are wonderful.  To play and to watch.  To sweat and to root.  Most of us have teams or individuals that we root for, usually based on where we're from, where we live, someone we know on the team...some connection.  I've lived most of my life in San Diego and no matter where I am I will care about and root for the Chargers and Padres.  No matter how painful!  With the emergence of SDSU basketball, there is another local team to rood for.  My opinion is that there isn't much better than college basketball!

But there is another weird dynamic that emerges in many people who root for teams that makes no sense for them to root for.  They weren't born there.  They don't have family there.  There is no connection, but for some reason they love that team.  Of course, the opposite can be true too.  "Don't know em, don't have any connection, don't know their players, just hate em."  My observation is that there are a few teams that fall into each category and I suppose most really fall into both.  My list includes the Dallas Cowboys, Boston Red Sox, Oakland Raiders, Los Angeles Lakers, Green Bay Packers, New York Knicks, Chicago Cubs, Los Angeles Dodgers, and Boston Celtics.  Maybe St Louis Cardinals.  Maybe Chicago Bears.  I have to admit, I've always irrationally liked the Packers.  Ever since I was a kid, they were my team.  No reason, just were.  And I've always hated (and I mean HATED) the Raiders.  Pretty irrational...but it is what it is.

Oh yeah...and then there are the New York Yankees.  I have friends who love the Yankees, have been fans forever, follow them religiously, know all there players, etc, etc, etc.  And they've never lived there, have no connection, etc.  Its really odd.  But I can't stand them (the Yankees that is)!  Being from a small budget town with a team that is continuously struggling, the way they go about buying players and championships is nauseating.  If you haven't seen Moneyball, rent it and you'll see what I mean. 

BTW, the Tigers swept the Yankees tonight to knock them out of the American League Championship. :) For all my fanatic Yankee friends...no whining!

No comments: