Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Final Chapter

Maybe Final Chapter isn't a great title but that's what it feels like.  I first wrote about the tragedy at Benghazi in early October in a post titled "Protecting Our Diplomats".  I also had a few other posts that you can search out if you're interested.  But with Secretary Clinton's testimony today, it feels like its over.  The whole episode will fade from view.  People will forget.  Bureaucrats will live on.  Nothing will change.

I thought Hillary's testimony was pretty genuine.  She was frustrated.  She took responsibility.  She endured endless grilling.  Of course, she now goes on to prepare for her run for the Presidency in 2016 with one of the final views of her people will remember being her "courageous" testimony before Congress.

But at the end of the day, no one is held accountable for failing to protect our diplomats in a dangerous place on the other side of the world.  That's my issue.  Not who said what or when.  Not who spun what on which talk show.  Not whether there was some video or not.  To me it is all about the complacency of the bureaucrats safe in their offices and ignoring Americans in peril.  There was a time that people were held accountable.  Especially in life and death situations.  But no more.  We have a compliant media, feel good politicians, and an uncaring electorate.  But...there was one guy who said what I feel.  I've never paid much attention to him but he certainly caught my attention today.  It won't matter but I think what he said was spot on.  And I'm going to pay more attention to what he says...





No comments: