Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Even The Mighty...

Since I've been posting and commenting on contemporary issues of the day, I guess that it's inevitable that sooner or later I'd have to write something about the Gen Petraeus affair.  What a sorry mess.  Careers, families, institutions, reputations...ruined.  I can't begin to elaborate on the thousands of words that have already been written.  But I think one of the best is here.  I can't really add anything.

"There was more than one decision point in the relationship that brought down General Petraeus where he should have diverted then-Major Broadwell back to the gym solo, but he didn’t. As a result, a reputation is in tatters, a critical agency has lost a leader, a war’s leaders are distracted, and two families are in turmoil. In time I am sure we will all know more than we want to, but one thing is clear. He is the person responsible for this. He was senior in age (almost two decades) and position (at the start we think O-4 to O-10). It was his inability to control his weakness, his ego, and his actions that brought him here. He knows this too, or at least he does now."



No comments: