Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Pet Peeve Wednesday

I travel a fair bit for my job and we like to hit the road when we can and have time.  This year I have about 130,000 miles on United.  Not earthshattering but not bad.  I've got all the airport procedures down to a science.  I get all the TSA concerns.  I dutifully remove my shoes, change, belt, toiletries, laptop, etc, etc, etc.  (although I don't have to do that in most other countries).  Going through the scanners is a pain, but not a big deal.  Like I said, I get the concerns.  Once through security it's on to the boarding area to wait.  I've gotten pretty good at timing it so that the wait isn't too long.  Because of my status I'm in the first group to board.  So I schlep my stuff, get it stored and settle in for the pre-takeoff routine.

Which brings me to this week's pet peeve.  I would really like to meet the moron who decided that the energy of a cell phone will impact a modern jet's electronics.  And things like Kindles and head phones with on/off switches must be turned off.   Not that I'm so important that I have to stay connected or can't wait a few minutes until we get to 10,000 feet, but the flying waitresses/waiters make it seem like life as we know it will cease if any piece of electronics is left on during takeoff.  I mean, come on.  These folks need to get a grip.  It's an idiotic requirement that is incredibly annoying.

1 comment:

V1Rot8 said...

Mike,

As someone who does what you describe every day that I work, I have a few thoughts on this very subject. But online is not a proper venue for me to express those and is more suited to a personal conversation.

As Rick Steves says, "Keep on traveling!"