Friday, November 16, 2012

Irrational Love

I grew up in So Cal.  It was American Graffiti personified.  I could have been buddies with Richie Cunningham.  And a big part of the scene were cars.  All kinds of cars.  I had a VW Van.  Yep.   Louvered windows.  Wooden Bumpers.  Big Tires.  Big antenna that did nothing (but looked very cool).  Engine intake scoops with flames painted on the side.  Bumper sticker that said, "Don't Laugh.  Your daughter might be inside."  It was bitchin!

Anyway, everyone did their thing when it came to cars.  Lots of variation.  But the consistent thing in the So Cal culture that I grew up in was cars.  Even if your ride was some little Datsun subcompact, you could proudly cruise the Boulevard.

But I've evolved.  I've had many (my wife would say too many) cars.  Once again, all kinds.  Right now I'm in a BMW 535.  Can't even imagine a better car.  But then I see a collection like this and it prompts all kinds of imagination.  I like them all but I'd really like this one...


No comments: